Music Theory in 16 Minutes

46
12

If you’d like to read a bit more about this, you can download our free ‘Music Theory In 20 Minutes’ guide here:

Join composer Guy Michelmore as he explains the essentials of music theory in just 16 minutes! What is an octave? How do you make scales? What are intervals? What’s the difference between major and minor? What is the circle of fifths?! All explained in less time that it takes to make and drink a fresh cup of tea.

– – – – How To Write Music – – – –
How To Write Music explores the fundamental skills that underpin every great piece of music whether it’s a song or a film score, string quartet or video game sounds track.

This course was rated #1 on Udemy, and now it’s even better with more examples, course text and content.

Check out the free guide here to get you started:
Take a look at the full course here:

Source: cuocdoidanghien.com

View More: Cuocdoidanghien Music

46 COMMENTS

  1. Basically, a bunch of thirds up to the 13th, and then each one can either go up or down, and/or remove any intervals as needed.

  2. One though subject. The English explain it so much better than the Americans. But I am still not sure how I am to absorb and use this information in order to learn to play and instrument. Iam a 63 year old engineer and this is the last frontier of my education.

  3. Great information, I got lost half way through. However, I am taking notes. I am teaching myself the viola and I feel this information helps.

  4. I knew almost all of this already, but this is the first time I've fully understood Intervals. Turns out they're easier to learn in English

  5. Does anyone know where I can get a print out of all the chords with a section of the keyboard cut out and has black dots on the notes your supposed to play?

  6. This was fantastic. I knew about 70% of this but I've been struggling with the other 30% and you finally made it click for me. Thanks.

  7. I was at UK school in the '70s and no music teacher ever explained this. A colleague years later said "Well it's TTSTTTS" and suddenly the sharps and flats thing became obvious. I still don't play an instrument.

  8. Great video! I´ve been trying to learn music throry for about a month and this is the first basic, logical and understandable explaination that I´ve come accross!

  9. You are a genius, I’m just starting to play the piano. And your video made a lot of loose pieces into one whole… thanx a LOT

  10. Better than Andrew Huang's Music Theory Tutorial of 30 mins.. I always thought what the circle of 5ths was.. Thanks a lot, man..

  11. You lost me at 'major scale', around 5:08. The demonstration made it even more confusing. If the black keys are the half-notes (semitones), why then when you played the major scale did you not hit any black keys for TTS TTTS? Shouldn't it have been white-key white-key black-key? Sorry, I slid through all my music classes in school.

  12. Sometime you pray for things and god listen to prayers,, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED to me…

    This Man is a Teacher,,This man is just simple as ABC…huge respect for him….
    THANKYOU,,, Bow Down….

    i am gonna share this with all of my friends..

  13. How bloody well wonderful. Unfortunately, me brain overloaded somewhere around the 12 minute mark, so I will undoubtedly watch several more times. Thanks mate, you are a jolly well amazing teacher, I am in awe and deep respect of your musical knowledge! – And jealous as hell. 😉

  14. This was more useful than any video for music theory I've watched.

    My only question is when a music sheet says "play C note" how do you know which C note?

  15. Well,  let's call this "lite" version. Our friend Guy went easy on you regarding minor scales. There are Harmonic- and Melodic minor scales. So, for eg, he said Amin has ZERO sharps or Flats (as Amin is relative minor of CMaj), that's incorrect. Amin harmonic has G# instead of only G. Amin Melodic has F# & G# playing upwards, then both are cancelled ie F & G Natural, going down as in Guy's demonstration. This is true for all minor scales and modes. till, nice video Guy! 🙂

    до свидания!

    Mikhail Rimsky-Korsakov

  16. Why don't you write the letters on the keys? or is that too practical. Bet you couldn't teach me, I have the rhythm of a dead slug.

  17. Great video as usual. I noticed that you were using your plugin window as a top down keyboard display. VMPK is a free app that shows your MIDI in a resizable keyboard display. This makes it easy to fit perfectly into your video layout. Works great for teaching beginners since you can turn on note values over the keys if needed. Also shows velocity as color intensity as well. Thanks for the fantastic work.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here