Mindful Things, changing attitudes about mental health. Subscribe to the podcast at
Trevor talks to Harrison G. Pope, MD, MPH, director of McLean’s Biological Psychiatry Laboratory. Dr. Pope talks about men’s misuse of anabolic steroids—drugs which have been used by millions to gain muscle or lose body fat—with potential long-term dangers.
Dr. Pope is arguably the leading researcher in the world on the misuse of anabolic steroids. He discusses some of the reasons men use steroids, the dangers of using these drugs, and the relationship to men’s body image.
– The growth in popularity of the muscular body form among males in the 1970s is discussed (07:09)
– Dr. Pope shares a basic definition of what an anabolic steroid is (10:22)
– The ease with which one can acquire anabolic steroids (without a prescription) is described (28:29)
– Harrison Pope profile:
– Why Men Have More Body Image Issues Than Ever:
– Doping: More Than 30% of Athletes at 2011 Worlds Admit to Doping:
– A Monster Among Us?: The Dark Descent of War Machine:
Read the episode transcript:
– – –
The McLean Hospital podcast Mindful Things is intended to provide general information and to help listeners learn about mental health, educational opportunities and research initiatives. This podcast is not an attempt to practice medicine or to provide specific medical advice.